Confined Space Toolbox Talk
Definition of Confined Space:
- Confined space means space which has limited or restricted means for entry or exit and is not for continuous occupancy.
- Confined space includes, but not limited to, hoppers, pits, manholes, silos, tanks, vessels, ducts, pipelines, storage equipment, etc.
Criteria for confined space must meet:
- It has limited means of egress.
- Enough space to enter.
- It is not for continuous human occupancy.
- It should be affixed with signage properly for identification.
Requirement of Confined Space Work Permit:
- Presence of identified hazards like, but not limited to, mechanical hazards, electrical hazards, atmospheric hazards, entrapments hazard, etc.
- Only trained and experience workmen allowed to work in confined space, ensure refresher training to be imparted regularly.
- To complete Proper Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment.
- Safe arrangement for entry, exit and rescue operation in case of emergency.
- Availability of stand by monitor/supervision of work in confined space who don’t have any other task to assigned except it.
- Testing of space for oxygen level, flammable atmosphere, toxic chemicals, and space is safe from collapse.
- Proper understanding of emergency situations, rescue and evacuation procedures to all team members. Avoid unplanned rescue.
- To make availability of proper means of communication.
- To check space is empty, cleaned, ventilated and isolated.
- Ensure Safe Usage Of PPE.
Do not attempt to work in confined space:
- Before testing for oxygen level, flammable atmosphere, toxic chemicals, etc.
- Without proper training.
- Before structure check up to make sure it will not collapse.
- Without stand by monitoring and supervision availability.
- Before completion of proper hazard identification and risk assessment along with control measures implementation.
- Without appropriate Personal Protective Equipments including self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Before predetermination of safe work method statement.
- Without approved confined space work permit from all level as per standard requirements.
Immediately exit the confined space:
- In case development of any unsafe condition.
- Any gap in monitoring and supervision availability.
- Any disturbance in ventilation.