Definition of Ladder:
Ladder is an equipment which is used to climb up. It consist of pieces of metal, wood, Fiber Glass or rope with steps fixed in between.
Types of Ladders:
- Step Ladder.
- Stock Ladder.
- Extension Ladder.
- Trestle Ladder.
- Fixed Ladder.
- Rope Ladder.
Select correct type of Ladder for job:
- Consider height of work from the ground level.
- Ladder must be over extended from the access point.
- It should be high enough to work without standing on the first 2 step of the ladder in case of step ladder.
- Ladder material should be of sound and appropriate according to work. Don`t use metal ladder in case of working around Electricity.
- Consider weight to be placed.
- Consider clearance and fall protection criteria.
- Only use standard certified Ladder.
Do and Don`t while using Ladder
- Maintain 3 points of contact while using ladder.
- Be in center and toward the ladder all the time.
- Adjust position of ladder properly before climbing on it.
- Use all required PPE as per job requirement.
- Make sure ladder is neat and clean.
- Inspect ladder before using and ensure it is safe to use.
- Climb up and down cautiously.
- Keep the body inside the side rails.
- Ensure physical capability of ladder according to the work.
- Keep ladder free from any slippery materials.
- Follow 4:1 rule while using ladder.
- Barricade the area around the ladder to avoid unwanted traffic.
- Follow manufacturer’s instruction.
- Mark unsafe ladder immediately after inspection.
- Secure ladder before climbing on it.
- Allow only one person at a time on ladder unless it is designed to do so.
- Wear slip resistant shoes while climbing on ladder.
- Use only correct ladder according to work.
- Ensure person is trained and experience to perform work by using ladder.
- Don`t use ladder if tag says not to use.
- Never lean or over stretch while using ladder.
- Don`t try to move ladder while on the ladder.
- Don`t place ladder on any unstable bases.
- Don`t exceed ladder maximum capacity.
- Don`t work near overhead power lines.
- Don`t use metal ladder while working with electricity.
- Don`t overload ladder.
- Don`t try to make extension ladder from normal ladder by tempering it.
- Don`t use ladder as a platform.
- Don`t use ladder on soft or loose ground.
- Don`t use damaged or tempered ladder.
- Don`t leave tools/Material/Equipment on the ladder.
- Don`t carry any material while climbing, take help of coworker.
- Don`t stand on top of the ladder or step below the the top cap of the ladder.
- Do not take short cuts.
- Do not work alone if it not safe to do so.
- Never use ladder under the influence of alcohol or drugs/medication or in ill health.
- Never slide down on the ladder.
- Do not use ladder in high wind.
Also read Ladder Safety Inspection Checklist: