Safety Officer Roles/Responsibility
- To advice the concerned departments in planning and organizing necessary safety measures for the effective control of accidents and injuries.
- To advise on the safety aspects on all jobs and to carry out detailed job safety studies of specifically chosen and critical activities.
- To check and evaluate the compliance on the recommendations to prevent recurrence of incidents.
- To advice the purchase and store wings in ensuring the supply of best quality PPE.
- To advice on matters related to the execution of plant safety inspections.
- To carry out own independent inspections about the physical conditions of the work place, practices and procedures followed by workers and to extend advice on corrective measures to be adopted .
- To render advice related to reporting and investigation of accidents and occupational illnesses/ diseases.
- To undertake specific in depth investigation studies on selected accidents especially those which are very serious (fatal, disability cases, fires, mishaps , dangerous occurrences as defined under statutes. etc., ).
- To advice on the preparation / preservation of records on accidents/ dangerous occurrences, occupational diseases etc.,
- To promote the setting up of safety committees and function as convener, member secretary/ coordinator etc.,
- To organize campaigns and other promotional activities in association with concerned departments.
- Design, formulate, organize and conduct training programs on safety for all employees in consultation with training departments as applicable.
Keep in mind that Safety Officer roles/responsibility is a critical part of organization or factory. It is to ensure health and safety of employees not to just fulfill legal requirements.